Thursday, October 7, 2010

Honoring Donna Shah.....................

Thirty one years ago, I started a new job.
 
I was just out of a 2 year computer programming school and was not only starting a new job but was also planning my wedding.  A lot of big things going on in my life.
 
The company that hired me to program for them, was the same company that I had worked three years for as a order picker in their factory. So, while I was somewhat comfortable with the company itself,I was very nervous about meeting the people in my new department.
 
As with a lot of things in my life, I realize now that all that time worrying was for naught. 
The people in the 'computer room', as we called it, were amazingly welcoming.  
They invited me right off the bat to their breaks and their lunches,  included me in shopping forays off the property, potlucks and pretty quickly we formed a close work family. 
 
One girl in particular - Norma and I made an immediate and deep connection.
We just clicked - we really enjoyed each others company, it was as if we had known each other for years.  Since then, we have been through a lifetime of experiences together - weddings,
pregnancies, miscarriages, births, divorces, illnesses, deaths, accidents, aging, triumphs and disappointments. And here we are, 31 years later, two friends who know the other will always be a part of their lives.
 
Over a year ago, when she told me that her sister had been diagnosed with cancer,
my heart did a flip flop and tears sprung immediately to my eyes.
We were headed into unknown territory and it was really scary.
Supporting Norma hasn't been as easy as I thought it was going to be,
for she has had to adjust to this new role in her life and needed to do that privately.
 
So,  when I decided to shave my head, I thought I could do one small thing and
I asked Norma if she would approach her sister Donna to see if I could shave in her honor.
 
The answer was unequivocally yes. 
Along with a rather humorous - "Is she crazy?"
 
I haven't seen Donna for years but I do know that she is a fighter.
And she is fighting the good fight on this one.
 
I asked if there was something she would like to share and
I want to include what she wrote here:
 
 
I found out I had stage IV colorectal cancer in January 2009. 
I was going to get  a gastric by-pass, and they found it on my liver. 
It had gone from my colon to my liver. 
 
I could not believe it. 
 
I had no symptoms, no discomfort and no pain.  It was very shocking. 
 
I had a 10cm tumor and 17 others all over my liver. 
Surgery was out of the question, there was just too much cancer all over my liver. 
Without surgery I will never get rid of my cancer. 
 
I had chemo for 6 months.  
Then when I got my colonoscopy, the cancer in my colon was gone!!! 
 
My Doctor told me that he believed that I had a lot to do with it. 
I reacted well to the chemo, and my attitude he believes had a lot to do with the healing of the cancer. 
I was told always to stay positive, and  I did. 
 
Had a chemo vacation after that news for 6 months. 
When I had my CT scan in January 2010, the tumor was growing again. 
 
I had to go back on chemo again. 
As it stands now, my largest tumor is only 3cm now, and a lot of my little ones are gone.
You can only have the full chemo for a short amount of time. 
I am on maintenance right now just trying to keep the cancer from spreading. 
 
I went to the Mayo Clinic recently, and they are actually looking into surgery again. 
Have not heard yet, but even if I can’t I will still fight to stay alive until they can find a cure for me. 
 
Thanks to people like you, I believe there will be a cure for all cancers someday!!!!!!   Donna Shah
 
Wow.........
 
Hard story to read but a few things really stand out for me --
 
I had chemo for 6 months.  Then when I got my colonoscopy, the cancer in my colon was gone!!! 
 
Can you imagine how that felt?  YAHOO!  Gone! 
It struck me how Donna had no symptoms - yet a large tumor -
then after months of treatment, that same tumor was gone........ 
and her doctor attributed a lot of it to her attitude.
 
I am a firm believer that negativity begets more
and visa versa so this is a good example for me to follow in my life.
 
Another thing Donna said that struck a cord for me was-
 
I will still fight to stay alive until they can find a cure for me. 
 
She will fight to stay alive.  
That hit me like a ton of bricks -
because the day to day routine that I take for granted has turned into a daily fight for Donna.
 
And for so many others just like her.
 
Donna, I want you to know that on Sunday  October 10th, I will join your fight.
As I sit in that chair and let my hair be taken,
I will step into that fight against cancer - even if just for a few short minutes.
 
 
And a quick side note to my dear friend, Norma.
I love you and am here for you, anytime and anywhere.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to Donna for being so positive!
    Dad was a great example of how your attitude could help your health...how many times was he given a terrible diagnosis and he just kept on going with his humor, positivity and cheer. :)

    ReplyDelete